Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Tuesday, 22 November 2011



I've recently purchased 'The Liberty Book of Home Sewing'.  I mainly bought it because I knew there would be a lot of 'eye candy' gorgeous fabrics in there but there are also some nice projects as well.

I fancied having a go at a rose corsage using their simple method of fusing two cotton fabrics together and pressing the petals round a knitting needle to get that lovely soft curl.  The only confusion I had was I thought I had photocopied it smaller than suggested but the resulting flower was massive!  I did put a pin in the back but really wasn't sure when I would have occasion to wear such a humongous rose.  My daughter came home from school and asked if I had any plans for it and, whilst I was hesitating, promptly put it on her hair band and is now the proud owner of the biggest hair accessory in the world!


Still, at least she will wear it!

Friday, 11 November 2011



Continuing with my apparent cushion obsession, here is my latest make which is a present for my daughter's friend.

The applique designs are taken from '100 Applique Motifs' by Deborah 'Ismoyo' Green.  I drew them freehand instead of scanning the originals to resize them but they are a fairly accurate copy of what was in the book.

It's been hard to choose my favourite design as I love them all!  But just coming first for me is the fat penguin.



Who wouldn't love a fat penguin!

Wednesday, 9 November 2011


I have managed to finish a scarf which has seemed to take ages to knit.  It's made using a very easy lace stitch.  I have blended several yarns together including oddments of sock yarn together with a very fine yarn I managed to get at a local charity shop - so whilst it didn't cost much to make, if I was calculating an hourly rate to knit it I don't think I could afford it!

Thursday, 3 November 2011

Honey Bees Blouse



I've finally managed to finish something!  This is a blouse for my daughter from BurdaStyle.  It literally took me two weeks to figure out how to make the front yoke.  I had two identical pieces for the front yoke and I thought one was the lining.  Turns out you folded both of them in half so each piece became half of the front yoke including the lining.  I'm guessing the fact that I'm not describing this very well explains how tricky it was deciphering the instructions in the first place.  I don't envy people trying to write sewing patterns!


I'm really pleased with the way it has turned out and, once I had figured out how to make the panels, it was surprisingly easy to sew.  I love the effect of the gathered frill sleeve.  In fact, if I find I have another metre of fabric to spare I'd be tempted to sew up another one!