Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Butterick 6571


Having previously blogged about my seventies patterns I have taken a closer look at my favourite one.  I realised that the instructions were missing but quite oddly the bottom half of the pattern is also missing!  I have the bodice front and back and the sleeves but no waistband or skirt.  Now you would think that would be enough to put me off and make a start on one of the other lovely patterns but oddly enough it made me want to make it more!  What is life without a challenge.


As quite a novice dressmaker I thought my best bet was to use an amalgamation of patterns I already own.  Bear with me... there is some method in my madness!


Above is the only illustration I have of the original pattern (is there a proper technical word for these thumbnails? I would love to know it if there is).  I have all the pattern from above the waistband up.


For the waistband I have used the one from View A from this modern pattern.  Urban Rustic made a lovely version of this dress with the fancier neckline you can just see on the right but I haven't been brave enough to tackle it yet! 


I want to keep the central seam on the skirt.  Most skirt patterns understandably don't have a central seam as they are cut on the fabric fold so it was quite hard to find a pattern that didn't do this.  I decided to use View B of this sundress. It meant I had to draft a waistline which I did by copying yet another pattern.  Too many patterns spoil the broth?  We will see.

10 comments:

  1. Sending you good sewing pattern karma.

    That Cynthia Rowley pattern is etched on my mind. I learnt a hard lesson of what fit will flatter with that dress!
    http://snippa-snippets.blogspot.co.uk/2011_10_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I just read your original blog post. Did you ever finish it? I have only cut out the size 14 waistband but when I put the cut fabric around me it looks like it may be a little tight! I will keep you posted.

      Delete
  2. I am sure it will all work out fine...although my Cynthia Rowley experiences are mixed like Snippa's!!
    I will have a trawl through my 70's patterns tomorrow and see if there is anything there that might help you out as the Butterick pattern is such a gorgeous one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I remembered your post when I found the pattern in my cupboard and I did ponder whether to hide it again! I am only using the waistband piece though (not appliqued!) so I am hoping that it will work!

      Delete
    2. I looked through all of my patterns to see if I had anything almost the same that might do but quite surprisingly did not.I was sure I had something but I must have been imagining it...is's my age you know.
      Anyway,bon chance!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for looking anyway. I have plunged into it and have made a start - I am just pondering a problem with the neckline being to small - but I have a plan!

      Delete
  3. Animo!!, tu puedes!!!. Seguro que te sale genial.
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be easier to ammend the skirt from the second pattern than try and use the one from the third (there's no waist in the third one, so it would be hard to know where to cut it) - I can show you how! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think that - I should have just used a dress skirt pattern which was meant to have a waistband and not cut it on the fold with just an added seam allowance. I've not cut the skirt fabric out yet so I may re-do it. Too many decision!

      Delete