Thursday, 8 November 2012
Following my recent post about a charity shop blanket, I have summoned up the courage to cut it up and this is the first cushion made from the fabric. I was tempted to keep the blanket as it was but I am lucky enough to already own several lovely blankets so didn't really have the need for another.
I used the same owl pattern I drafted for the party bags I made for my daughter's sleepover. The only difference this time being that I embroidered french knots for the eyes instead of using buttons, as I am not keen on buttons on cushions - I always think they are going to be uncomfortable!
Like a math's exam - I like to show my 'workings out'! This is the reverse of the cushion and I try and keep my work as neat as possible. I did throw caution to the wind though and didn't cut the embroidery thread between the french knots used for highlighting the eyes. This might mean that you deduct marks... :)
Gratuitous close up. Can I just say however I do not recommend two layers of fabric backed with fusible web and a thick layer of felted wool when machine sewing a blanket stitch. My sewing machine is no longer speaking to me. It managed two owls fine and was so gummed up by the third set of wings it stopped playing. I have left it alone to sulk and hopefully it will be happier tomorrow!