Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 8 November 2012

Owl Cushion


Following my recent post about a charity shop blanket, I have summoned up the courage to cut it up and this is the first cushion made from the fabric.  I was tempted to keep the blanket as it was but I am lucky enough to already own several lovely blankets so didn't really have the need for another. 

I used the same owl pattern I drafted for the party bags I made for my daughter's sleepover.  The only difference this time being that I embroidered french knots for the eyes instead of using buttons, as I am not keen on buttons on cushions - I always think they are going to be uncomfortable!


Like a math's exam - I like to show my 'workings out'!  This is the reverse of the cushion and I try and keep my work as neat as possible.  I did throw caution to the wind though and didn't cut the embroidery thread between the french knots used for highlighting the eyes.  This might mean that you deduct marks... :)


Gratuitous close up.  Can I just say however I do not recommend two layers of fabric backed with fusible web and a thick layer of felted wool when machine sewing a blanket stitch.  My sewing machine is no longer speaking to me.  It managed two owls fine and was so gummed up by the third set of wings it stopped playing.  I have left it alone to sulk and hopefully it will be happier tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. How sweet!

    You'll probably have to do some sweet talking to your machine now you naughty sewing lady you! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so guilty putting my poor machine through it I even cleaned it! :)

      Delete
  2. Where do you get all those nice ideas from?! Owl are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love walking around gift shops browsing so I get a lot of inspiration that way - owls are everywhere here! They are such pretty things in real life it's a joy to sew them.

      Delete
  3. They are super cute and so so neat on the back!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make the cutest things! Your poor sewing machine! The things we do for the sake of crafting. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super neat and super cute!
    I love applique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely and so cute. such neat work too! x

    ReplyDelete