Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Wednesday, 4 May 2016

I was about to take photos when I thought, 'I could make a hat as well'.


Is it too much?  Surely not.

I wanted to make an outfit specifically for wearing on the beach this summer.  I sort of had a fifties playsuit mix and match idea going on in my head and decided to make a start on a simple top and shorts.


Only the shorts are from a vintage pattern.  It's 'Woman Easy-Makes' pattern MP.11, which I have redrafted from my earlier version after watching a trouser fitting class on Craftsy.  They now sit very nicely on my natural waist and have more room pretty much everywhere but the hips, which has proved successful... and comfortable!


The back view.

The top is View A, Butterick B6182, which is a modern Lisette pattern and the hat is View B, Burda 7685.  No brand loyalty here!

The entire outfit is underlined with a cream cotton linen.  Time will tell if it will prove to be too layered.  I chose to underline it as I thought I might wear it over a light coloured swimsuit which I didn't want to show through.


I only had two metres of this yellow stripe linen fabric which I purchased some time ago on a trip to Hereford (Doughty's).  As you can see I used it from the top to bottom to place the top and shorts pattern pieces on the straight grain.  The bits you can see uncovered are all that I had left - which is why it was a bit mad this morning to think I could also make a sunhat to match.


It was a tight squeeze fitting it on the leftover pieces - as you can see in the photo above.  


Isn't it typical that my best pattern matching of the stripes is on the back of the hat.  I have taken a photo for posterity as I will not be able to admire my luck skills when worn. :)


Although, as they say, even a stopped clock is right twice a day and so I decided to use the photo above...


... to show that I have a matching line running down the entire ensemble... as long as I always stand like this!

4 comments:

  1. It's such a summery set, and I love the hat! I've always thought I should make a sun hat, but when shopping for patterns, hat patterns tend to go off the radar.... :/
    I want summer and long days at the beach now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having a rare few days of May sunshine in Wales at the moment so I was making the most of it! You should check out that Burda pattern for hats - the photos on the envelope are hilarious! :)

      Delete
  2. I have many hat patterns. I only tend to make the ones that just don't quite work out. I don't wear them out of the house, but I enjoy them, they don't take much fabric, and they are very....entertaining.
    I am glad to see someone has made it out of the house with theirs. The stripe chevron on the back is sweet. Do we match stripes for others or ourselves.....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a couple of hats that were slightly disasterous - in fact the first time I made up this pattern I had to put a big button on the side where all the fabric bunched up due to my poor sewing - I wear that one out only to the allotments! :) It's a good question about matching the stripes - I think I must do it for myself because I get very grumpy when I am millimetres out and nobody else notices. I'll just have to try and admire the back of my head whilst passing mirrors! :)

      Delete